- Your Government
- Boards & Commissions
- Disability Access Commission
Disability Access Commission
Disability Access Commission Members:
Tom Carlson, Bunny Ferguson, Kenneth Tigges, Jack Cunha, Linda Cunha, Caitlin Jacobs, Mike Espejo- Selectboard rep.
Chris Hanafin, ADA Coordinator
Jennifer Goldsmith, Recording Clerk
On September 16th, 1991 Burlington Town meeting adopted MGL Chapter 40 Section 8J which established Burlington’s Disability Access Commission (BDAC). The commission consists of no less than five, but no more than nine members. The Majority of our members are persons with disabilities with one member being an elected official. Monthly meetings are held in person on the third Monday of each month at noon at a designated location within the town.
BDAC is not an enforcement agency but an advisory group which helps ensure accessibility, reasonable accommodation to include but not limited to, town property, schools, recreation owned properties as well as programs. Non-discrimination and equal opportunity are the policies of the Town of Burlington in all aspects of business, programs and activities. The Veterans' office coordinates, schedules, maintains records and acts as a liaison between the commission and the town departments along with private businesses in town.
BDAC has used the fines collected from handicap parking violations within the Town of Burlington in funding either in whole or in part over 83 projects since its inception. Some of the projects include but are not limited to:
- Installing handicap accessible automatic doors (many over the years)
- Gradual Walkway on the common (2015)
- Elevator design at pine glen school (2003)
- Accessible water bubblers at various recreation locations (2001 & 2007)
- Playground equipment @ Francis Wyman (2009)
- FM Listening systems for the School committee meeting room and select board meeting room. (2010)
- Supports updates to the towns AutoMark Machines for town elections. (various years)
- Assists with funding many of the therapeutic recreation programs to allow for the programs to be offered at more affordable prices. (various years)
- Offsets the cost between a standard size porta-potty and handicap accessible size porta-potty at outdoor fields around town. (various years)
- Francis Wyman LABBB Raised flower beds- (2016)
- Adopt a park initiative between recreation & BDAC -
- Simonds park accessibility upgrades (walkway outside of park & wading pool patio area and pool access (2021)
- Regan Park - Accessible walkway and handicap parking spots. (2017)
Beyond the Commission directly funding projects they have diligently worked alongside town departments to continue to bring awareness to areas of concern in regards to accessibility. Each department has been instrumental in ensuring that the accessibility needs and or requirements are met. The Commission is also a resource for the Massachusetts Office on Disability (MOD), the Massachusetts Architectural Access Board (AAB), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and more.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
Follow us on Facebook: